Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis



The Indiana Jones trilogy is among one of my all time favourite movies. Harrison Ford will forever imprint in my mind an idealistic adventurous archaecologist named Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. (Indiana is the name of his dog).

Of the three movies in the trilogy, the one I love the most is Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade where Sean Connery, another of my favourite actor, appeared as Henry Jones, Sr. I must have watched it at least 10 times. I have the DVD so I will be watching it again. The chemistry between the two were fantastic. Rumours had it that a fourth Indiana Jones movie is in the works.

After the movies, there was a number of novels and graphic comics published. I have read and enjoyed them all. There was also a television series, Young Indiana Jones which I did not like.

There were also a couple of Indiana Jones computer games which I have enjoyed playing.

The best graphic novel is Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis published by Dark Horse Comics in June 1992. It was written by William Messner-Loebs, Dan Barry and Mike Richardson based on the storyline by Hal Barwood and Noah Falstein from Luscasfilm Games.

The graphic novel was well written with non stop action like in the movies. The storyline was predictable with mixture of elements which were similar in a later animated Disney movie about Atlantis.

Atlantis always was a fascination of mine. Did it exist? Did Plato really described it? What was it like? Where is it? Endless questions but no answers. Another mystery to be added to the other mysteries in the Universe.

.

5 comments:

  1. From fan to fan, i think Temple of Doom was one of the best pieces of m-media entertainment *ever*! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Temple of Doom? Nah. The little boy was cute but the elephant was ugly!! *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer Raiders of the Lost Ark. The best one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny thing: it was Raiders of the Lost Ark which 'inspired' me to read a little bit more of the Old Testament!! ;>)

    just like i hope movies like Da vinci code, Passion of Christ, etc. can make ppl look deeper into their NTs, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. alwyn,

    I wish it were so. In our attention deficit society, most people will treat these movies as pure entertainment. Having watched it, they just move on to others.

    Very few stop to reflect on what they have seen and fewer still felt compel to find out more.

    That's why I believe reviews of movies, books and comics from a Christian perspective are helpful.

    ReplyDelete