Friday, May 25, 2007

My Monthly Book Hunting Quest

Friday afternoon is my favourite time of the week because I do not have clinic. If I am not on call, I am totally free from the hospital. I use this time to have lunch with friends or people I am mentoring.


However, once a month, I will drive over the causeway to Singapore for my monthly book hunting quest. I enjoyed book browsing and shopping very much. I look forward to discovering treasures among the shelves and the stacks. I do have a shopping list in mind but most of the books bought are chance discoveries.

I will always start off at SKS books Warehouse at 315 Outram Road #09-03, Tan Boon Liat Building, Singapore. This is the largest Christian bookshop in Singapore and its almost 3,000 square feet are filled all all genres of Christian books. I always get a very good selections there.


Next I head off to Absolute Comics at Bugis Junction. I can usually find a good selection of comics titles here and also a good selection of figurines and action figures.


The next stop will be Kinokuniya at Ngee Ann City on Orchard Road. Here too is an excellent selection of books. The religions, psychology, and philosophy sections are well stocked. I usually have a coffee break before and then dinner after Kino.

My last stop will be Borders at Whitlock Place at the junction of Orchard and Scotts Road. The reason is that Borders closes at 11.30pm on Friday. Hence I will miss the traffic jam at the causeway when I start home after Borders close. I find that Borders have a better selection of literature and science fiction books. Unfortunately, its religions section is shrinking.

I usually have no problem getting across custom at the causeway except to answer the usual incredious questions from the custom officers.
"Are these books?"
"How much did you spend?"
"Do you actually read them"

This book hunting quest is one of my favorite activities of the month.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment