Thursday, May 31, 2007

Your Presence An Absence

In Your presence there is an absence
silencing my greatest fear.
It is with You that I know the essence
of what is life, now that You’re near.

It is in the absence of Your presence
that I rekindle my desire;
and it is when I am without You
that I burn, an inextinguishable fire.

In Your presence there is an absence
of all that preys upon my mind;
for my heart’s desire before me,
and I leave all else behind.

It is in the absence of Your presence
that I have learned to be apart.
It is without You that I am with You;
for You are Joy within my heart.

Janet Rimmer

4 comments:

  1. I am quite interested in the topic of spiritual formation. But I imagine that it is something one learns better through contemplation and action over time. And time is something I don't have much of during this season of my life. But I hope to glean from your knowledge and personal experience in bits and pieces when I can. Thanks for sharing your educational history with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi jb,

    I find spiritual formation fascinating. It is a misconception that we learn spiritual formation through 'contemplation'. Actually spiritual formation is living a life in Christ till we are fully formed.

    Please check out some of my writings on spiritual formation
    here

    Shalom

    ReplyDelete
  3. yet how would we 'know' we are fully formed? how do we monitor/measure our 'progress' in the spiritual life? or is that even the right questionn?

    i take the 'simple' route: "By its fruit shall you know the tree"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi alwyn,

    May I suggest some markers of spiritual maturity here

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete