“The Resurrection” (1552) in the Great Meteoron
Some features from icon:
• Figure of Christ dominates the centre of the painting
• Christ has triumphed over death
• Christ is dressed in brilliant, radiant apparel and surrounded by a glory of light. This symbolized His resurrected body and the eternal life (undying light) to come
• His hands and feet bears the scars of the crucifixion
• The halo around his head, his radiant robes and triumphant expression shows his victory over death.
• Death is represented in chains, beneath the gates of Hades which were broken
• The two broken rocks showed how Christ entered the abyss to rescue the human race
• Christ is shown pulling the paralysed hands of Adam and Eve.
• Also Christ liberates from the bonds of death the righteous. On the left are John the Baptist, David and Solomon. On the right are Abel and two Gentiles.
• It represent the culmination of the redeeming work of Christ