Saturday, April 28, 2007

Buddhists Look at Christianity


I find these two books very interesting. One is by the Dalai Lama and the other by Thich Nhat Hanh. These are not new books but were written many years ago.
Rereading these books, I cannot helped but be conscious of how gracious these two Buddhist leaders are in writing about Christianity, or more specifically about the teachings of Jesus Christ.
They gave praise where praise are due. In areas of disagreement, they agree to disagree, without condemnation, without a sense of superiority, and without being condescending.
I do wish Christian writers about Buddhism show them the same courtesy.
.

4 comments:

  1. I have very deep respect for the Dala Lama.. it's hard (although not impossible) for me to find a Christian leader I respect more than him.

    I look at him, and I see everything I am not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my dear sk,

    It warms my heart to hear you say that. That shows true humility. I personally believe that we Christians need to have true humility and integrity to recognise that there are people around us whose personalities, devotions,commitments,and compassion are so much more than ours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm....I have always been drawn by the sense of 'peace, joy and undefensiveness' that comes through in the writings of Thich Nhat Hanh. Perhaps such Buddhist leaders are practicing what they preach. As Christians we have to take note that our faith is not just an intellectual one (correct belief) but also involves deep transformation of our hearts...for we too can experience such peace, joy and detachment (from the world). Perhaps that will make our witness truly authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi lilian,

    As you yourself must be aware, for too long, we evangelicals have neglected the disciplines of the heart. We have become too cognitive in our faith.

    Christianity does not consist of theological propositions alone. There is also the experiential aspect.

    The Bible consistently teaches about peace (shalom). Yet, how many of us are experiencing this peace. I believe the Buddhists have experienced some of this peace (shalom). Shalom has long been part of the apophatic and kataphatic traditions of the church.

    ReplyDelete